Want To Know More About…
Welcome to the National Gamete Donation Trust
Our site is a hub of a clear and practical information about donating and receiving eggs, sperm and embryos in the UK.
Whether you’re an actual or potential donor, intended parent, clinic, journalist, researcher, professional or interested friend or relative, our goal is to ensure you receive all the relevant information and support you need.
Welcome to our world. We’re delighted you’ve found us.
- We support and empower gamete and embryo donors. We also work with potential recipients, UK licensed fertility clinics, the media and support organisations to raise awareness of the need for gamete and embryo donors.
- We manage the Donor Conceived Register to enable donors and people conceived through donated sperm or eggs before August 1991 to exchange information and, where desired, to contact each other.
- We also, in partnership with Birmingham Women’s Hospital, run the world’s first independent National Sperm Bank.
Patron Diana Brittan CBE (Lady Brittan) Staff NGDT’s day-day-day work is carried out by a small (yet mighty) team of tenacious professionals:
- Laura Witjens, Chief Executive
- Pip Morris, Donor Recruitment Manager
- Natasha Canfer, Communications Manager.
Trustees The NGDT has a dedicated Board of Trustees, which includes:
- Charles Lister OBE, Chair of Trustees
- Deb Barrow
- Gavin Evans
- Timothy Fox
- Beverley Gray
- John Kilby
- Andrew Waters.
Advisory Council The NGDT Advisory Council comprises expert members from: Organisations
- British Andrology Society
- British Fertility Society
- British Infertility Counselling Association
- Centre for Family Research at the University of Cambridge
- Department of Health
- Donor Conceived Register Registrants’ Panel
- Donor Conception Network
- Human Fertilisation & Embryology Authority
- Infertility Network UK
- King’s College London, DNA Analysis
- Multiple Births Foundation
- Royal College of Nursing, Fertility Nurses Group
- The Progress Educational Trust
- PROGAR (Project Group on Assisted Reproduction).
- Kate Brian, Author and Journalist
- Brian Lieberman, Retired Consultant in Reproductive Medicine
- Pamela White, Specialist Associate Lecturer in Medical Law and Ethics, University of Kent.
What’s going on
10 Years since the Ending of Donor Anonymity. What now?read more
How does the NGDT recruit sperm donorsread more
Whenever I criticise private sperm donation…read more
It’s rather worrying that sperm donation features in the Financial Times under the Wealth section…read more
Good things take time to put together and that certainly can be said of the new NGDT website…read more
This year it’s ten years ago that anonymity was removed. Mark the date and keep checking back on the site for updates.read more
My family is complete – I have two wonderful girls who I fell pregnant with so easily…read more
I think the first question everyone asks is what made me decide to become a donor? I had been a blood donor…read more
This is my story about how I became a special man – although I didn’t realise I was special at the time.read more
We’ve been together for 11 years and would really like to have children to complete our family unit…read more
Players from Rochdale Mayfield Rugby Club have kicked off a North West drive to recruit more sperm donors…read more